About the foundation.
Washington Area Women’s Foundation helps build pathways out of poverty for women and their families. We help to create economic opportunities that have positive ripple effects across society.
We mobilize our community so that women and girls experiencing economic vulnerability in the region have the resources they need to thrive.
Washington Area Women’s Foundation is an influential, respected, visionary national leader of community strategies that enrich the lives of women and girls.
• We are a results-oriented, innovative catalyst for social change, willing to take risks in order to create deep and lasting impact in our community.
• We are committed to advancing an equitable, diverse and inclusive community.
• We value the full participation of women and girls of all backgrounds and at all income levels so that their diverse life experiences can enhance our community and one another.
Incorporated as Washington Area Women’s Foundation.
Awarded first grants totaling $17K.
Published seminal research A Portrait of Women & Girls in the Washington Metropolitan Area.
Created Stepping Stones Grant Initiative.
Launched Early Care and Education Funders Collaborative.
Released Portrait Project 2010.
Adopted a new strategic plan, introducing the current mission and vision focused on economic security.
Unveiled new brand.
Expanded Stepping Stones grants to include two-generation strategy.
Joined Prosperity Together, a nonpartisan partnership of public women’s foundations from across the country.
Launched Donor Advised Funds (DAFs), a new way to invest in women and girls locally.
Launched new strategic plan Together We Thrive.
Launched the Young Women’s Initiative.
Sarena serves as the first point of contact for the Foundation, providing operations, administrative and finance support to the staff.
Mercy Chikowore is responsible for executing the organization’s communications and branding strategies.
- Martine leads the Program team and The Foundation’s program strategy development.
Jennifer leads the organization in its mission, providing and implementing its strategic vision.
Sylvia provides operation and finance support to The Foundation staff.
Emmy oversees all fundraising activities for The Women’s Foundation.
- Claudia contributes to crafting and executing program strategy and manages the Young Women’s Initiative of Washington, DC.
Donna provides administrative support to the President and CEO, serving as liaison with the Board of Directors, and as office manager.
Goldman Sachs Office of Government Affairs
Head of Private Bank & Wealth Advisory
Silicon Valley Bank
The Maultsby Way
Senior Career Consultant
George Washington University School of Business
Vice President of Local Markets
Washington Business Journal
Vice President — Corporate Affairs and Chief Communications Officer
Graham Holdings Company
Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon,
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgery, LLC
Vice President and Chief Member Officer
Executive Leadership Council
Virginia Foundation of Independent Colleges