Washington Area Women’s Foundation’s Stepping Stones Initiative is our most ambitious effort yet. The program’s objective is to build the long-term economic security and financial independence of low-income, women-headed families, a critical need brought into sharp focus by A Portrait of Women & Girls in the Washington Metropolitan Area. In the past six years, the estimated cumulative gains in assets and income for participants in the program have reached $35.3 million.
Stepping Stones programs focus on three areas:
- Financial Education and Wealth Creation;
- Jobs Fund; and
- Early Care and Education Funders Collaborative
Stepping Stones will create financial independence for low-income, women-headed families through investments in:
- Non-profit community-based programs that serve low-income, women-headed families in the above issue areas;
- Community education;
- Policy change and advocacy efforts;
- Leadership development among women.
The following Stepping Stones Funds are currently operating: